We have an abundance of blueberries at our home. I have been buying them left and right trying to stock our freezer for the winter months that are sure to be here before I know it. The blueberries add great color, sweetness and a touch of flavor to this fun BBQ sauce.
I have always been a fan of BBQ Chicken Pizza. My family, on the other hand, not so much. Well, sometimes I decide to make it anyways and they can eat it or leave it. I guess I was having a mean Mom moment.
I made it and they ate it. I loved my version of Blueberry BBQ sauce. It is sweet and tangy, just like I like my BBQ sauce to be. The blueberry is subtle but it adds great color to the sauce. To enhance the blueberry flavor, I tossed some fresh blueberries on the pizza. This made for a gorgeous presentation. I even got an "ooh-ahhh" from the kids. I like that.
The Blueberry BBQ Sauce recipe will make more than you need but I can tell you that added to some chicken sliders is a great way to use the left over sauce.
You are in for a real treat with this weeks Sunday Supper recipes because they are all BBQ related. Scroll to the bottom of this post and you will find links to each one.
I recently shared our gluten free pizza crust that is also featured in the pictures that are posted in this post. If you need a gluten free pizza recipe I would suggest you give this one a try. The recipe can be found here with step by step pictures.
Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza
Makes one pizza
1 pizza crust (homemade or store bought) (gluten free version here)
1 batch of Blueberry BBQ Sauce (recipe to follow)
2 cups of cooked chicken pieces
2 cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 handful of arugula leaves
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, add more if you want
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Pre-bake pizza crust for 6-8 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and add BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken pieces, blueberries and arugula. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted--about 10 more minutes.
3. Slice and Serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Makes about 2 cups, you will have leftovers
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno-garlic oil (optional)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Using a potato masher or back of a spoon, mash blueberries into sauce. You should still see pieces of blueberry just not whole berries.
2. Turn heat down to low and let simmer for 30 minutes to thicken. Depending on stovetops, it may take more or less time to achieve the desired thickness. It will also thicken as it sits in the refrigerator if you do not use it right away.
3. Store leftover sauce in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- BBQ Stuffed Calimari from Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques’ Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S’mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S’mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Written by Sherron Watson