I will have to blame it on the pregnancy hormones. I have not been cooking a whole lot over the last three months. My creative juices were going wild when I finally could step back into the kitchen and see, smell and taste food. I wanted to do something fun for my family.
I don't make a lot of cakes. Gluten free cake mixes are expensive and gf cakes from scratch don't always turn out for me. I found this Lemon Pound Cake recipe from The Baking Beauties and I was blown away. It tasted and felt just like a REAL pound cake.
Our Sunday Supper theme this week is "citrus". I was excited because I love lemons, limes and oranges. One of my favorite Christmas candies is the chocolate orange that you WHACK on the table to slice. I thought to myself, could I make the pound cake into a cake and add chocolate fudge and achieve the same result: orange and chocolate yumminess?
I chose to use fresh whipped cream, shaved chocolate bar, orange peel zest and my homemade chocolate fudge. I also added some orange marmalade to the center as a filling and dipped orange slices into chocolate to crown the cake. It was a party cake and I had to use all of my accessories...LOL
I cannot wait for you to see all of the Citrus delights being shared by my friends for Sunday Supper this week. Our host is Jen from Juanita Cocina. The list of recipe links is below my recipe.
Recipe: Orange Pound Cake, Gluten Free
Adapted from The Baking Beauties
3/4 cup super fine white rice flour (151g)
5 tablespoons sweet rice flour (40g)
5 tablespoons potato starch (55g)
4 tablespoons tapioca starch (40g)
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup of butter, soft
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
Toppings are optional: Cream for whipped cream, chocolate bar to grate, orange marmalade for cake, orange rind for zest, orange slices for dipped oranges, dark chocolate chips to dip orange slices in and hot fudge sauce.
HOT FUDGE SAUCE: 1 can of condense milk, 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Combine in a pan and warm. Stir to combine. Serve on cake, ice cream or use to dip fruit.
Preheat oven to 325. If using a loaf pan, line with parchment and spray ends of pan. If using the 2 round nine inch cake pans, cut circles of parchment paper for the bottom and spray the sides.
In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk well.
In a separate bowl, add sugar and butter. Beat for 4 minutes until light yellow.
Add one egg at a time to the butter/sugar mixture, combine well after the addition of each egg. Add vanilla.
Alternate the orange juice/milk and dry ingredients when blending in with the egg/butter/sugar mixture.
The batter will be thick. Add to the prepared loaf pan or distribute equal amounts of batter to the 2 cake pans.
Bake the loaf pan for 60-65 minutes and the two cake pans for 40 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes and remove to cookie rack to finish cooling. To assemble the cake, they should be completely cool.
Wrap well. The pound cake is good for 3-4 days on the counter. NOTE: It will get drier the longer it sits out.
To make the orange slices: Dip orange slices into melted chocolate chips. Cool on parchment paper until ready to use. If in a hurry, you can put them in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm the chocolate.
To assemble the cake: Place one cake round on bottom of cake plate, cover with chocolate fudge, add a layer of orange marmalade. Tip the second layer over and cover with fudge sauce and then add it to the top of the orange marmalade. Top the cake with fudge sauce (it will fall over the sides and the insides will ooze out from the center). Refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove and add whipped cream, shaved chocolate, orange zest and chocolate covered oranges.
Sorry this picture below is not prettier but this shows you all the layers really well.
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.