Squash of all kinds are gladly welcomed in our home. We simply cannot get enough of this vegetable. For Sunday Supper we are celebrating this versatile vegetable with an abundant list of recipes of every kind. You will find all of the links at the bottom of this post.
My favorite squash is by far the acorn squash.
It is meaty, has great flavor, easy to prepare and makes an easy meal in and of itself. Squash is so versatile in recipes too. I grate them into meatballs, layer them in casseroles, add them to baked goods or saute, bake, fry, grill , freeze or roast each type.
Did I mention we use it A LOT in our home. I believe I use squash every single day. Along with the above suggestions I also scramble them into our morning eggs, our smoothies, and omelets.
I threw a few quartered sweet potatoes in to the baking dish too and seasoned them with salt, pepper and thyme. The sweet potatoes can be eaten later or along with the squash.
When the squash is finished baking, you don't want to cut it in half. If you do this you will lose the creamy center filling. You want to scoop the squash out and hopefully get some of the rich cream (dairy or coconut) with each spoonful.
My mouth is watering just writing this. It is a good thing I just bought an acorn squash last night. I need to make this for lunch.
Creamy Baked Acorn Squash
Makes two halves, enough for 4 people
1 large acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
2 tablespoons of grass fed butter, unsalted
1/2 cup of heavy cream OR coconut milk with cream
5-6 sprigs of thyme
1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon of olive oil for the sweet potatoes only (optional)
1/4 cup hard cheese like: parmesan, pecorino romano (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare squash and sweet potatoes. If using the sweet potatoes, drizzle the olive oil over the tops of them. Place in baking dish. Add heavy cream, salt, pepper and thyme to the center of the acorn squash. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and grate cheese over the top. Bake an additional 20 minutes of until squash is soft. Bake uncovered.
3. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
More Squash Recipes from the Sunday Supper Crew:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.