Ambrosia Salad was a childhood favorite. I just never realized it.
The salad I grew up with was referred to as fruit salad with whipped cream. Maybe amongst the adults the real title was shared but for those younger than 10 pretty much used the title already stated.
It varied from year to year. I honestly don't recall having coconut or marshmallows too often in our fruit salad. I am sure this was because of a personal choice made by my grandmother. In general, we did not each much coconut. I can only assume it was not a family favorite.
I was delighted to learn that for our Sunday Supper group we were going to explore the recipes that focused on Then and Now.
I very much remember the Then of my life and relish in the Now every day.
My own little family does not love this salad as I did whilst a youngster. It may be the nuts or the whipped cream, who knows. On rare occasions I do make this in a much smaller size and devour it over the course of a few days.
Can you blame me? Nuts, mandarin oranges, pineapples, bananas, coconut, marshmallows and bananas...ooh la la. How could I have forgotten the maraschino cherries (the best part in my opinion).
I took the liberty of using the ever coveted color scheme of the 70's--orange and avocado-- to shoot my pictures this week. I simulated a Lazy Susan by using my pizza stone. I have not, in my lifetime, ever owned a Lazy Susan ( I always felt bad for Susan).
We all have different idea's of what--Retro or Then and Now-- are in our own lives. From my point of view if was the 70's and to others it could be as far back as the 40's, 50's or 60's. Only you can decide which decade you want to revisit in terms of Then and Now and Sunday Suppers.
Below you will find the list of our group along with their selections. I cannot wait to see which point in time they selected their dishes from, and to learn if they updated the recipe or kept it as is.
Recipe: Ambrosia Salad
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained and diced
1 can of pineapple chunks, drained and diced
1 jar of maraschino cherries, drained and halved
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of mini-marshmallows
1/2-1 cup of heavy whipped cream
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
In a large bowl combine first 7 ingredients.
In a small bowl combine the last 3 and beat until cream is thick.
Combine the two bowls. Store salad covered and in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
NOTE: The size of can's I used for the mandarin oranges and pineapple were between 10-10.75 ounces. The cherries, I purchase the smallest bottle I could find.
All of the listed amounts can be adjusted or omitted on what your family likes or does not like. I actually enjoyed the marshmallow and coconut after years of not having it made this way.
|NOTE: If you would like to use whipped coconut milk in place of the whipped cream here is a link to how to do that: GO HERE.|
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts