If I have to pick one recipe that has quickly become our favorite for this year it is this tomato soup. My entire family LOVES it. I make it at least once a week.
We have named this Isabella's Tomato Soup because she is the one that request it the most. Last week I taught her how to make it as part of our Friday Cooking Class. Isabella is becoming quite the culinary student. I have enjoyed teaching her about the basics of cooking, the health benefits of cooking from scratch, and the time together in the kitchen.
This recipe is dairy free and I have made it with all types of dairy free milk: rice, almond, soy and coconut milk. We really like the coconut milk the best. I use the full fat and the soup is very creamy and dreamy.
We use a combination of fresh and canned tomatoes. I think the texture and flavor from using the two benefits from having a variety of tomatoes.
It is quick! We whip this soup up in about 20 minutes. I try to let it simmer for a few minutes but I usually have a handful of people asking me, "is it ready yet?" every few minutes. The soup is great the next day too.
Tomato Soup #dairyfree #vegan
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup red onion, diced small
1 tablespoon Italian Parsley, finely minced
2 teaspoons oil of your choice, to sauté onion
2 tablespoons flour
2 cans Organic Diced Tomatoes
2 cans Organic Coconut Milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic paste
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a small pot with oil. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and parsley, salt and pepper. Cook over heat for 1 minute.
2. Add tomatoes and coconut milk. Do not drain juice from tomatoes.
3. Stir together. Using a hand held blender stick, puree soup until smooth. See picture below. It will be light pink and as it cooks, the color will change to a beautiful orange red. If you don't have this, then add to a blender and puree and return to pot.
4. Heat soup until thick. I don't usually boil this soup. Once the soup is thick, I turn the heat down and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and season according to your family's needs.
5. We serve this with homemade croutons. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.