Baked Eggs with Sausage
Makes four servings
2-3 tablespoons red onion, minced
1 large chicken sausage, diced and cooked
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons butter or ghee
8 tablespoons cream or coconut milk
salt and pepper
pinch of parsley for each ramekin
1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray ramekins with cooking spray. Add water to a large baking dish. Enough water to go up half way on the ramekins. See top picture--it has the dish I used, the water added and the two sizes of ramekins that I use.
2. Remove casing from sausage and fry with onions until done.
3. In each ramekin divided the sausage/onion mixture equally. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Add1/2 of the tablespoon of butter to the bottom of the ramekin and the other half will be used on top of the raw egg. Crack the egg on top of this mixture. Add the parmesan cheese, coconut milk or cream. Finish the dish with the second half of the butter from the tablespoon. Sprinkle with parsley. Add more parmesan cheese if you would like. (There is no right or wrong way to layer this dish. I just like to layer the ingredients in this order.)
4. Add the ramekins to the baking dish with water. Carefully put pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Check eggs. Additional minutes may be required based on how you like your eggs baked. See comments above.
5. Remove from oven and serve immediately. I usually take a knife and fork and diced it all together and eat with a gluten free biscuit or slice of toast.