I grew up with green bean casserole served at every holiday meal. It is a family favorite and the kids don't leave any evidence that green beans ever existed in the dish. They lick the casserole dish clean.
That's them and this is me: Give me the crispy onion topping! I love them.
When I went gluten free I had to give them up. It has taken me a while to find the time to make them using a gluten free coating.I have tried several combinations but this is my go to coating when I need to deep fry something. The combination of corn and white rice flour works well together to create a crispy exterior with great flavor.
I used my Spiralizer to cut the onion. Yep, that is one onion. It makes a ton but my family could have easily eaten two or three onions. It took me about 20 seconds to spiral the onion. I didn't cry once.
I have included a picture of my green bean casserole that will be coming out soon, but I want you to know that these Crispy Onion Straws work well topped over macaroni and cheese, added to your favorite burger or eaten straight out of the bowl.
If you get a chance, share with the rest of us in the comment section, just how you would use them in your families favorite recipe.
Crispy Onion Straws #gluten free
Makes one onion, about 3 cups of crispy onions
1 onion, sliced thinly or spiralized
100 g (1/2 cup) white rice flour
64 g (1/2 cup) tapioca starch
42 g (1/4 cup) corn meal, fine
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
pepper, to taste
Oil, to fry
1. In a medium size pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 degrees. Make sure the pot has enough room for the straws to "fry". It will swell when the onions cook.
2. Cut onion thinly with a sharp knife or by using the Spiralizer.
3. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. I used a mesh strainer to shake the onions a bit before I added them to the hot oil. (see picture above). I did not use a milk mixture to coat the onion slices because the onion was already "wet".
4. Add the coated onions to the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove to a bowl that has been lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
5. For the best quality product, use them right away. To store them use an air tight container to retain freshness. Some of the crispy exterior will be lost after they have sat for a while.