My kids ask for enchiladas about once a week. They love the combination of corn tortillas and cheese layered with lots of red sauce.
I have seen versions of this dip around and decided that it may be a bit easier than making a couple of trays of enchiladas--especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On those two days I am usually running kids from 4:30 until 8:00. I try to make meals in the morning so that those that are home can reheat and eat at their convenience. I miss eating together but busy families do what we have to do to get everyone fed and out the door.
I was correct. It was much faster to whip this up. I served the dip with corn tortilla chips.
I found that I could portion up the leftovers in small containers. This made for a great snack after school.
Beef Enchilada Dip with Green Chilies and Black Beans
1 pound of ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced small
2 gloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of enchilada sauce (I make my own sauce--follow link)
2 cups of cheese, grated (I used jack and mozzarella--but you can use any cheese you love)
1 small can (4.5 oz) diced green chilies
1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bag of tortilla chips
diced tomatoes (optional)
avocado chunks (optional)
green onion (optional)
black olives (optional)
sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large frying pan, cook meat and onions together until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic, cook another 3-5 minutes and remove from heat. Drain any fat from the meat.
3. Add black beans, chilies and 1 cup of cheese to meat mixture. Combine well. Transfer mixture to a baking dish. I am using a round stone dish that makes the dip about 1 inch thick.
4. Pour the enchilada sauce over the meat/cheese mixture. The recipe says 2 cups but you can always use less if you prefer your dip not so runny.
5. Top with remaining one cup of cheese (add more if you want more) I like lots of cheese so we usually add a bit more. I also use what I have in the fridge. This is a great way to use up small pieces of cheese.
6. Heat in oven until cheese is melted. In my oven this takes about 7 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
7. While the cheese is melting, prepare your toppings.