Spring is coming! I am so excited for the warmer afternoons and longer days.
The flowers are already showing their cute little heads in the rich brown earth and the buds are almost visible from my window on the trees in my yard.
Spring in Maryland is so beautiful. The array of colors is breathtaking.
Our recipes today are all about spring flavors and memories. I have had this cookbook, that was given to me by a friend, for a long time. I know it is old because the date on the front is typed: 1976. The entire cook book is typed.
The second reason I know it's an older cookbook is because the recipe calls for shortening. I don't use this ingredient very often. I wasn't sure if I should. I went for it anyways.
The cookies were quite tasty. The texture soft on the inside with a bit of a crispy edge on the outside. I added a bit more orange juice to balance out the flavors a bit. I say the cookie is a carrot cookie but it has a lovely blend of orange and carrot.
I hope that you enjoy our recipes for Sunday Supper. All of the links are listed below.
Recipe: Carrot Cookies, Gluten Free
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup of sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of shredded raw carrot
6 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup of rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 teaspoon xantham Gum
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon finely shredded coconut (optional)
NOTE: You can substitute 2 cups of flour for the rice flour, tapioca starch and xantham gum if you don't need them to be gluten free. The cook time will vary too--10 minutes.
Cream shortening and sugar, beat in egg and vanilla.
Add carrots and orange juice. Combine well.
Sift dry ingredients together and combine with wet.
Drop by large spoonfuls onto a lined cookie sheet. The cookies do spread so leave 2 inches between each one.
Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.
Remove and transfer to cookie rack.
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite Springtime recipes!